There are several factors that can affect ability to connect to TotalVPN. Here is a checklist of this to consider and try before you contact the support team:
- If you are receiving authentication error messages when attempting connection, either your email address, username or password is not being excepted to make connection. If you are connecting via the app, and seeing authentication error messages, it would be advisable to carry out a password reset here and then try connecting again. If you connect manually, please remember that your username isn't your email address, your username can be found here.
- Some VPN protocols are more reliable than others, PPTP for example, is not as stable as OpenVPN. If you are having problems with PPTP it would be best to attempt connection a few times, or change out the protocol to OpenVPN.
- Try connecting via a different network. If you are able to connect okay on your cell phone on 3G or 4G, potentially the original network being used has blocks in place preventing VPN connection. On a public network (i.e. School or College) Sys Admin may intentionally be blocking VPN connections to stop people getting up to activities Sys Admin would rather they didn't. On home networks, some Internet Service Providers block VPN, either on the router firmware or at their end of the network. Giving them a call about VPN on their service is advisable.
If you still continue to experience connection issues after following these steps please contact our support team here. Please ensure you provide as much information as possible for the tech support team to isolate the issue, please include:
- If you are having difficulties with just one server or all
- Screenshots of any error messages you see when connection fails
- The operating system you use (Windows, Mac, Android, iOS) and if you connect using our app or manually
- If you have tried connecting on more than network (i.e. via a cell phone's 3G or 4G connection)
- If you have attempted a password reset (please reset your password to something you are prepared to provide support so they can troubleshoot the issue further)